Great skin begins with knowing your skin type. Knowing your skin type will help you to determine what skin care regimen is right for you. It wasn't until I took the time to get to know my skin that I was able care for it properly. The major skin types are normal, combination, dry and oily. You can use the blotting test, to discover your skin type.
Here are the tools you will need:
1. Cleanser for normal skin or facial cleansing soap
2. Lukewarm water
3. Clean Towel
4. Tissue or Blotting Paper
First, wash your face with a cleanser or facial cleansing soap. Second, rinse your face with lukewarm water and dry with a clean towel. Then wait for one hour. Next, take your blotting paper or tissue and blot your face.
Look at your tissue to see if you have one the following skin types:
- Normal skin - There will be very little oil on your tissue.
- Combination skin - The tissue will have oil in the form of the T-zone (this includes your forehead, nose, and chin).
- Dry skin - You will see no sign of oil on the tissue.
- Oily - Oil will appear all over the tissue.
If you also experience itching or irritation during this test, you may have sensitive skin. You should do the blotting test often especially during the fall, spring, summer and winter months because our skin type changes with seasons. Although in general I have combination skin, in the winter months I tend to have dry skin. So, I have to adjust my skin care regimen for each season.